Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Whatever Dr. A. Thinks Necessary

There's a handful of vets who call me to ask for advice. Not for every case they handle, of course. They are excellent clinicians who see hundreds of cases for every one they might call me about. But they are all convinced that I can help them solve their particularly tough cases. I get calls from these vets once or twice a month, often when they are standing in a field looking at a sick cow or in their clinic with the sick pup in front of them. They've all learned that they will get far better diagnostics if they call me before they collect any samples.

I'll admit that I have found answers in some cases only by sheer luck. But the truth is, I am a careful observer, I think quickly on my feet, I am happy to toss crazy ideas back and forth, and I'm not afraid to be wrong. I also have time that these clinicians simply don't have to dive into all kinds of resources--the internet, my vet school lecture notes, textbooks, consultations with vet school classmates and teachers (I have my own advice network!), and so on. This combination means that, in fact, I am pretty good at my job.

Although it amazes me every time they ring me up to ask me what I think, I'm rather proud that I can apply my knowledge to help my colleagues out.

So I couldn't have been more pleased when one of my favorite vets, who regularly calls me up to chat about difficult cases, sent in this submission form along with the samples that I had advised her to collect, writing on the Tests Requested line, "Whatever Dr. A. thinks necessary."

That's an incredible gift of confidence and trust she gave me. After all, it's her client--she's the one who is treating the animal. But she willingly made me a partner, because in the end, she and I do in fact share the same goal--improve animal health.

No comments: