Wednesday, July 03, 2019

Woes of the Homeowner

Holiday coming up! That means a house or animal crisis is sure to happen!



Oh, look, there's now a big, ragged hole in the ceiling of my laundry closet. The ceiling started sagging and water started dripping from two small holes sometime yesterday morning. Of course, I immediately turned off the water to the two sinks that are directly above this spot. Then I frantically called the home warranty company. Just like a health insurance provider, you need to use a contractor that they have approved, not just any old plumber that can, you know, show up and fix the fucking problem. So I won't be seeing the approved plumber until next Tuesday...a week from the day I called.

I was worried about water pooling in the ceiling and causing a much larger area of damage, so this morning I climbed up on to the washing machine and poked the ceiling with a screwdriver. Most of the mess went into my handy bucket but it was rather splashy for 30 seconds or so. I widened the hole to take a look--the sheetrock is saturated and is going to have to come out anyway.

When I carried the bucket outside to dump it, to my horror I saw a hornet floating in the water. Was it alive? Is there a nest up there? Will those horrible insects now have access to the inside of my house? I jumped in the car and headed to Lowe's for some industrial-strength wasp killer. I haven't seen any of those vicious bastards but I remain vigilant.

The dripping seems to have stopped now, which means I successfully drained the pooled water, and the leak was probably coming from one of the upstairs sinks. I've moved my daily ablutions to the downstairs sink, which I hope is not similarly leaking into the crawlspace.

And the dogs have plenty of time to get into trouble before the holiday is over.

No comments: