Friday, April 02, 2010

Musings and Maunderings

I am two paychecks away from being 100% debt-free (that includes you, DSL!). That is an amazing shift from last summer when I spent many sleepless nights wondering what I could sell to make sure I could pay the electric bill. I had to give up my dogs and cats, the hobbies and activities that I love, and my friends, and move to Saudi Arabia to accomplish this. And my house was foreclosed on so my credit rating will be in the toilet for years to come. Still, there has to be some joy in there somewhere.

So if you advocate violence in the name of Allah you are a terrorist but if you do it in the name of Jesus you are a militia member?

Health insurance is not health care.

Tsingy's name comes from a word in an African dialect that refers to a type of fluted limestone feature caused by weathering. Paul's side hobby is Neoproterozoic geology (really old stuff, cratonic rocks more than 1 billion years old) and there's plenty of that in Africa. He and Lou-Anne travel there frequently (and plan to relocate there on retirement). The line made by Tsingy's black tail and the black stripe down her one hind leg reminded him of that weathering feature. Yeah, okay, that's kind of convoluted but geologists tend to be strange that way.

I thought the first batch of ginger beer was disappointing until I got some advice from a master brewer. I probably didn't let it ferment long enough before decanting into soda bottles, I needed a device to aid the decanting (could be made but amazingly I found one ready-made in the Mini-Mart when I walked over to get some cat litter), I probably used too much yeast and too much sugar, and I need to let the beer sit at room temp for at least a month before drinking. In short, the first batch may be redeemable but it is far too young yet to tell for sure. He gave me some great tips and I plan to forge ahead with a second batch, adding a hot chili for more bite.

2 comments:

BC Insanity said...

Ha ha ha, after about a paragraph or two I was wondering if you had been sampling some of your concoction ....
Good luck on the second batch.
I know from brewing beer is that it once you bottle it it's best to let it sit for few weeks. Stouts get even better after few months, lighter beers not so much. But they all need some time to sit in the bottles and relax, mainly for some of the crud to settle at the bottom. So, word of advice here, when you are ready to drink your stuff, whatever you call the new brew, chill it well, then don't rattle the bottle and pour slowly without having it bubble all inside the bottle and stir up the crud. You will always end up not pouring everything.
But I think you had experience with home brews before if I'm not mistaken.
Bon Appetit!

Rover Mom said...

Same here! I struggled to connect the second and third paragraphs with the first and then read the title again.... ;-)

I love Tsingy's name even more now!