Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Small Acts of Kindness

I got these flowers today at the lab. They were sent by a veterinarian out in the wilds of southwestern Arkansas whom I've never even met. She called the lab yesterday, almost in tears, worried that she had screwed up a case, second-guessing all of her decisions, and needing to talk to someone about necropsies. Receiving sent her to me.


I spent over 30 minutes on the phone with her. The clients were being difficult, accusing her of killing their dog. She did an in-clinic necropsy and found many dozens of heartworms in its heart and vessels of its lungs. She was worried that she did something wrong. I assured her that she did everything right. I told her that the outcome would have been the same if she had sent the dog to the lab for necropsy. I thanked her for trying to find the best answers for her patient and the owners. 

Today she sent me flowers and a short note.

It is these small acts of kindness that we give each other that get us through.

No comments: