Tuesday, August 06, 2019

I Discover A Superpower

Convo, regular version:
"Happy Pets Animal Hospital. Can I help you?"
"Hi, yes, is Dr. X available?"
"She is in a room with a client/not here/gone home/not available. Can I take a message?"

Convo, superpower version:
"Happy Pets Animal Hospital. Can I help you?"
"Hi, this is Dr. A at the Veterinary Diagnostic Lab in Little Rock. Is Dr. X available?"
"Oh yes, just a minute, she really wants to talk to you!"

When I interviewed for this job, I got the impression that communication is one aspect that previous occupants of this particular job have not performed well. This has been confirmed more than once in my discussions with the director. Our clients are better served when they get information sooner. The reputation of the lab is bolstered when we add an invested, concerned name and voice to our necropsy cases. So I've been trying to call every referring veterinarian (or commercial producer) as soon as I complete their necropsies to chat about my preliminary findings.

This is how I discovered that I now have a superpower. It turns out that they quite value having a peer give them a ring to chat about their difficult cases. And I don't even have to wear a cape.

No comments: