Friday, January 18, 2019

Diary of a Fourth-Year Vet Student: A Weight Is Lifted

I passed the NAVLE, the national licensing exam for veterinarians. I took it back in mid-November. Everyone had to wait for their score until the testing period closed in late December.

There are some incredibly arcane statistics that go into calculating an individual score for the NAVLE. The specific questions are randomly selected for each test taker--I got around 8 questions on sensitivity and specificity while one of my classmates got none on that topic--and questions are assigned different weighting values based on how hard they are. The minimum number of points that are needed to pass varies a bit from year to year, but they usually equate to a 70-75% score.

You get an idea of how your performance compares to others who took the test during the same window as you (November to December, 2018) in specific categories such as dog, food animal (essentially sheep, goats, and cattle), pig, etc. Compared to my peers, I totally killed it in the pig and equine categories. My large animal medicine instructors will be very pleased. But I did well in all of the categories and passed the exam with plenty of points to spare above the minimum.

Everyone, every single person, leaves the exam feeling like they failed it. It is hours of grueling concentration and knowledge retrieval and application. And it is a huge weight lifted to know that it is now behind me.

No comments: