Sunday, August 19, 2018

CircusK9 Update, Long Overdue

During September, I will be traveling for two back-to-back, poultry-related preceptorships. I hope to be able to write more about them later, but for now, I wanted to put up a brief post about the dogs.  I've been so focused on vet school recently that I haven't written much about the general mental and physical state of the pack.

In the past couple of months, I've interviewed 8 or 9 people to see how they would work out for pet-sitting. And as I introduce the dogs to these new people, I am reminded of origin stories that I have sort of forgotten, that have become buried in my other quotidian concerns.

Azza will be 8 years old at the end of this year (she was born near the end of December, 2010). Azza still acts like a puppy for the most part: playful and joyful. In large part, I credit this to the fact that she lives with fox terriers. She is so much more resilient at facing the random events that life throws at her. Not quite a normal dog, but I worry about her much less than I used to.

Mimi is rounding the corner on 13 years, and has lost most of her upper teeth, yet will play fetch with a tennis ball until she drops. She is going deaf, and has started vocalizing nearly continuously, a sort of low moaning sound. Her Parkinsonian-like tremors have become quite extreme, present even when she is at rest, and often while she is sleeping (they only disappear when she is in REM sleep). Despite my advanced training, I can't explain what is wrong with her. She is not ataxic, she knows exactly where her body is in space, she has no muscle weakness, and she has no pain from this disease. She does have two lumps that I plan to have my vet poke (technically, collect a fine-needle aspirate from them). I am fairly sure they are lipomas, but it is better to be sure. They have nothing at all to do with her tremors.

From the day that I brought Archie home, Azza has been convinced that I did so for her. Whenever I go looking for them inside or outside the house, I invariably find them together, touching paws or laying side by side. They are true partners in crime, always looking for trouble.


Archie is a spoiled little monster, and I love every second of it. It was a bittersweet email that I got from AKC telling me he was ranked the #11 smooth fox terrier in AKC agility this year. He doesn't even have a single double-Q to his name! And this entire year will be a holiday from both training and trialing. A fourth-year vet student has some downtime, but not that much. It was clear from our last few trials that he needed a bit more maturing, so this "gap year" may not be the worst thing that could happen to his agility career. I am focusing instead on building my relationship with him. I must admit that I ignored some basic training in favor of driving him forward in agility. Time for re-collection.

No comments: