Monday, April 15, 2013

The First Step

This summer, June 24 to be precise, I will begin taking undergrad courses again. It will take me a couple of years to get ready to apply to vet school. The only course that I will be taking this summer is the Organic Chemistry sequence. It's a full year's worth of instruction crammed into a little over two months. The compressed schedule means that realistically I can take no other courses at the same time.

The first two parts, lecture only, will take up 15 hours a week. The lab, the third course in the sequence which I'll take in August, has a lecture that is 12 hours per week plus the lab itself which is 8 hours per week. The schedule is grueling and you have to admire the stamina of the instructors.

Organic chemistry is chemistry based on carbon. Hydrogen often comes along for the ride; I'm nominally fluent in that subdiscipline because those molecules are what hydrocarbons are made of. But living things (organisms) do lots of complex things with carbon, made even more complex when they throw oxygen in there, and I don't know much about that.

I'm looking forward to the new challenges.

No comments: