Friday, April 23, 2010

Parles-tu francais?

I'm teaching the dogs French. If I can learn French, then they can too. I figured it would help me practice speaking more naturally and fluidly, even if what I say to them is pretty simple.

Some phrases are easy. "Who's hungry" becomes "Vous avez faim?" or "Qui a faim?" Come and go are simple, straight translations: "Venez" and "Allons" (the latter actually means "Let's go").

Mimi has already learned that "donnez-moi" means "give (it to me)."

And I can praise them, telling them they are "tres bons chiens".

After they eat or when we come back from a walk, I ask them "Ca va?"--"okay (is it/are you good?" "Faisons de la marche" means "Let's go for a walk!"

One of my favorites is "Ca suffit." Mimi gets to hear that one a lot. It means "knock it off!"

And of course after we play a game of baby or ball, they have learned that "Ca fini" or "C'est tout" means we are done.

I've made translations of sit/down/stay/wait but I think they might be too awkward. I need to learn some more idioms or slang to make these commands simpler.

But I'm keeping the dogs busy with the handful of commands they are learning so far.

No comments: