Tuesday, March 02, 2010

What are you doing right now?

This is as close to a "facebook status update" you are ever going to get from me. At work I spend all day on a computer. I rarely have free time to do more than check personal email for issues that need immediate attention. I turn on my computer at home perhaps twice a week--on the weekends, never in the evenings after work. I spend my evenings in class, socializing with friends, or with my dogs. I am never going to create a facebook account. What's the point, really, if I only update it once a week? I already do that with the blog. And I prefer navel-gazing in the form of narrative or essay. For the most part, the great majority of us live routine, even boring, lives. The quotidian details extracted from context seem thin to me. The joke about updating your status with the comment that you are "updating your status" becomes all too real.

1 comment:

Agile Jack said...

I heard a story about two teenage girls in Australia who got stuck in a storm drain. Instead of using their smart phones to call for help, they posted an update to their Facebook pages and waited for someone to see it and call for help.

I'm new to Facebook, and there are things I really like about it and things I hate about it. the beautiful thing is that you can block people who tend to post every time they fart.