Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Annual Holiday Baked Goods Incident

I seem to have the worst luck with smooth fox terriers and holiday baked goods.

This run of bad luck started way back in Christmas 1999 with Harry and Iz. My friend Julie was visiting me in Salt Lake City. We found ourselves in a domestic mood and baked some pies and bread using fresh pumpkin. I left two 2-pound loaves of bread on the washer to cool while Julie and I left on some errand. It was Christmas Day, I believe (this could have taken place over Thanksgiving too--the main point is that is happened on a primary holiday day). When we returned, to my horror Harry and Iz waddled up to the door to greet us, guts visibly swollen. Bread pans: empty. Foil: licked clean. Fox terriers: couldn't even move.

We rushed them to the emergency clinic where they were injected with something to make them vomit. It was extremely successful and rather fast acting. The smell of fresh pumpkin bread soon filled the room as both of them started vomiting up globs of orange bready goo.

You'd think I would have learned then that a determined fox terrier can easily get onto a standard kitchen appliance. But time does dim those specific bits of information.

Last night, I returned from a shopping jaunt into Khobar with friends to be greeted at the door...by a waddling fox terrier! Harry somehow pulled a fresh pecan pie that I had bought here on camp just yesterday off the stove and onto the floor. Based on the size of his swollen gut and his moaning all night, I think he ate most of it. I had only had one piece of it myself so it was pretty much a complete pie! Mimi is certainly no innocent--she had a very full belly too!

She was so amped up on sugar that she was bouncing off the walls, the furniture, and me as I walked around cleaning up the mess.

When I left for work this morning, Harry was back in bed sleeping it off.

6 comments:

Agile Jack said...

Oh. I hope you don't come home to something nasty!!!

Bill's tradition is to break into packages I've prepared for friends and eat waaaaaay too many dog cookies. She always leaves the people cookies alone and eats the dog cookies.

Last Monday, when I went out to dinner with friends, Bill pulled a brown bag full of peanut butter dog treats that I made over the weekend off the kitchen table and ate nearly all that was left... probably 2 lbs. She only left what the crumpled bag wouldn't allow her to access.

She pooped three times when I let the dogs out the next morning. There was a large pile waiting for me in the living room when I came home at lunch, and she pooped two more times that evening. She got me up that night at 4:00 to rush outside.

It took her three days to get bak to normal, gastrically speaking.

Rover Mom said...

Well, Meggie is no saint either! She somehow got a hold of a chocolate chip cookie, after which much chasing her around ensued, the entire time she is trying to eat the cookie while running at top speed! Funny than that is seeing John running after her with the dishcloth - not exactly sure what he intended, strangulation maybe? Two days later Meggie does a fly-by and grabs a piece of nut roll right out of my dad's hand as he is trying to bite it!!! Of course they did have their share of gingerbread, snickerdoodles and ham, along with the wonderful holiday dog cookies they got every day for a week. Still, she was determined. Sometimes you would think they were completely deprived!!

-D

lilspotteddog said...

I'm howling! Chasing Meggie around the house with a dishtowel! Flyby to grab food from your dad's hand! Bill eating 2lbs of dog cookies (my god).

Harry still moans when he lays down. I just look at him and shake my head. This is drama entirely of his own making.

seniormoments said...

And I thought huskies and goldens were bad about eating everything that didn't move! Hope Harry's almost back to normal, but sorry you didn't get to enjoy more of the pie.

VAMom

lilspotteddog said...

Anne, you do know that the fox terriers would have EATEN THE PAPER BAG that contained the cookies, right? I didn't mention the pie pan that the pie was in--it was right by the front door, punctured, bent, but licked as clean as if it was new.

Agile Jack said...

Bill seems like the picture of restraint!