Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Dogs Say: Whatever Is Going On, We Don't Like It

Dogs generally don't like changes to their routines. While I make a strong effort to stick to their regular feeding schedule, all of the activity going on at Circus K9 right now is throwing the concept of routine right out of the window.

Strangers coming by the house to look at things to buy, maybe even coming into the house for the furniture, realtors and their clients walking around opening cabinets and closets, packages being delivered several times a week, doorbell ringing, phone ringing constantly. All of this activity is taking place with a constant background of packing. I have at least four separate staging areas so I might be carrying items from one room to another (and sometimes back again), taping up boxes, wrapping small items in paper. Constant commotion.

Plus I sold my bed so we are all sleeping on the floor. This isn't as terrible as it seems as I've built quite a comfy nest out of sleeping bags and blankets, but it simply isn't the normal state of affairs.

The dogs do not like any of this at all.

They are all slightly on edge, jumpy and prone to react to the slightest sound, real or imagined. Jack and Dyna stick to me like burrs, never more than a few feet from me even when I'm moving around. Mimi and Harry have become particularly needy, an emotional state that I don't like nor do I encourage in my dogs. But I can't just ignore them--they are all worried and anxious.

The loading and carting and boxing and packing and moving frenzy is accelerating. Moving day is scheduled for next Friday and I've still got quite a bit to do. I hope the dogs can hold themselves together for a few more days.

No comments: