Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Right On Schedule

The vet said 22 weeks, and Cap is right on schedule. He lost his two lower baby canines sometime in the past 2-3 days, and the upper ones are soon to go.

Cap has gotten noticeably heavier in the past week. I think he is starting to put on adult muscle. I'll have to remember to take him to work one day this week so I can stop by the vet to weigh him.

Cap entered the CircusK9 Ruff Love training camp yesterday. He doesn't get to play with toys of his choice anymore and he doesn't get to wrestle with the girls. It is my game and my choice of toys, or nothing at all. Well, not really nothing. If I decide to separate him, I put him in the kitchen with a bone or a rawhide. He's still teething and needs to chew. After 24 hours of not much at all, he was ready to pop tonight when I got home from work.

I got some amazing X turns and tugging from him, and when I brought him out for a second go, he gave me extremely enthusiastic ball retrieves. He is on the verge of consistently catching a ball thrown at his face. Mimi never misses, but this is a skill that Gracie still struggles to master.

This evening, Cap was much more settled and calm than usual. None of the usual assembly line-like, frenetic toy destruction. Of course, all of the toys are now placed on shelves out of his reach, but rather than pace and fret, he settled calmly at my feet.

I'm not sure how you other owners of tail-less dogs handle this, but I got pretty damned tired of bathing him every time he pooped (even normal poop sticks to his duck down-fine hair, and if it's a bit soft--good god, what a mess), so I have started clipping the fur on his butt way back. It looks weird but seems to eliminate those elimination issues.

Of course, I'm used to the fox terriers who, even at their least groomed, have open clearance from anus to ground. It's yet another difference between Cap and the fox terriers.

Cap on the weekend I brought him back from Austin (January 2009)

3 comments:

BC Insanity said...

Ha ha ha, try long tails to add to this. Trimming hair helps, the tail covers any bad cut.
But solid poops don't stick. Once in a great while one will get the runs. I got used to the 'into the tub, shower in hand wash'; actually so did they. None of them likes to be dirty under the tail and smelly, especially Grommit!!!
But he never gets the runs, so it's a drama when it happens once in a blue moon.

Cap has such a sweet face and those round bright eyes, just darling. Does he chase the cats?

G.

Rover Mom said...

We call it a "poop chute" all fuzzy butt dogs get one - its less apparent when they have a tail to hide it, but it is essentially a cliped channel from their butthole on down! And yes, if the poop is not completely solid, it can stick to everything. And for those of us who have tails to deal with - its even a bigger mess!

lilspotteddog said...

poop chute! ha!