Friday, March 27, 2009

My Little Old Man Harry

It's so easy to anthropomorphize when I am around my dogs for so many hours of each day. While I understand quite clearly that they are animals, they still have deep personalities with many facets.

When Iz died last August, Harry entered a protracted period of mourning. No drama, he just withdrew from the household activity, activity which had to continue even though I too was struggling with my sadness. After taking care of the basics like eating and pottying, he would curl up in another room, always away from the rest of the dogs. This went on for months.

Lately Harry has been behaving very differently. He and Cap and I play almost every morning. No, Harry isn't playing with Cap. The only dog he ever played with was Iz. Harry and I play tug with one hand and with the other I either play fetch or tug with Cap. Harry now gets up in the morning when I do in anticipation of our game.

Harry follows me around the house instead of hanging out by himself. I was washing dishes the other morning and turned to find him stretched out on the throw rug in the kitchen. I don't think he has ever done that before in this house, and I've been here almost two years. He and Dyna were curled up on the wondrous Costco dog bed next to my computer table the other night--he's never done that before either.

Harry and Jack often curl up together at night now (they and Dyna sleep on the bed with me). Given their stormy past, that is almost unbelievable, but I often reach out my hand in the dark to find them back to back, sometimes even spooned together if it is a bit chilly.

Harry detests Cap but I can't say that Cap being here isn't part of Harry's change. I also can't know for sure if part of the change is due to the fact that Harry's toenails are no longer hurting him and are in fact growing back in and looking pretty good, if still really stubby.

And I can't say if Harry wouldn't prefer to have Iz back but fox terriers are nothing if not pragmatic. He appears to have decided to make the best of what he does have: a newly noisy household that revolves around a boisterous, trouble-making puppy.

I would give anything to have my Iz back. It is as painful to think of her being gone now as it was eight months ago. But I too have to be pragmatic. I've got a house full of lovely, lively dogs that need to play and learn and be loved. My wise little old man Harry is helping me along.

No comments: