Friday, May 27, 2016

How Easily I Am Mocked

During our first term of vet school, way back in early October, our class established Thursdays as "snack day". We even keep a Google doc so people can sign up in advance. I did a snack day in the winter term--cut up apples and cubed cheese, pounds of both, plus three kinds of chocolate. Some people make muffins or cookies, some bring bags of chips and salsa, others bring bananas and gigantic jars of Nutella. Some of our classmates have dietary issues, and a couple are vegan. Most of us make some attempt to bring snacks that will cover all bases.

I sometimes bring snacks on Fridays for no other reason than it is Friday. Oddly, my classmates love those sour gummi worms--neon colored, coated in sugar. They fall on the bag like a pack of starving wolves. I also usually bring a bag of some sort of chocolate.

There is another Thursday tradition that I do not participate in: themed dress. Harry Potter, undergrad college colors, dress like a beaver, nautical themes, animal costumes, superheroes--I find most of it fairly silly. Pajama day was the worst. Most of my classmate already look like they roll out of bed and come to class. How could they get any more casual? Turns out a lot more.

Yesterday the theme was "twins". On Wednesday, my friend and table mate McKenna said, let's dress for twin day. Do you have two of anything?

I probably would have refused this request from anyone else but I like McKenna. So I thought it over, and realized I have two lime green Utah Tail Blazer flyball club tshirts. They are probably around 15 years old now, and are sweat-stained and getting a bit thready in places. But I have two of them.

I normally don't wear tshirts with writing on them to school. Heck, I don't even wear clothing with patterns. I wear sturdy cotton cargo pants, rarely jeans, and solid colored tshirts (blue, black, or grey) and solid-colored fleeces (blue, black, or grey). This way I can put on the tshirt that is on the top of the pile and grab a fleece on my way out the door and I never have to look at them. I wore one pair of dark green cargo pants for most of the past 7 months, washing them every week. The idea is to simplify my life as much as possible by removing sources of stress such as deciding what to wear. Everything always goes with everything.

So I told McKenna, this week it is tan pants (I bought a new pair to add to the rotation), dark tennis shoes, and a black fleece. I'll bring the Utah Tail Blazer flyball shirts.

Little did I know that McKenna had plans to take this thing all the way. She put her hair up in a bun, wore stud earrings (I also wear the same pair of earrings every day), and put on her glasses instead of her contacts. The results were spectacular, but I'm a little dismayed at how easily she was able to imitate me:




1 comment:

Oldgraymare said...

OMG! You have a little doppelgänger! No wonder you like her.