Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Ow!

I was filling out a health questionnaire that is required of everyone who works with animals on campus, and it asked for the date of my last tetanus booster. Um....1998? Maybe?

I realized that wasn't good enough--I really need to be current on that because, well, chickens. You're supposed to get the booster every 10 years anyway.

So I popped over to the Student Health Center after class yesterday. I absolutely LOVE socialized medicine, which is what college students have access to. You pay a fee each term and have full access to all of their services. Lots of their services (such as counseling) are available to all students even if they didn't pay the health center fee. You might have to pay for some medicines but most are subsidized to very low costs. Sure, it's not open at night or on weekends. Sure, it's on campus and I don't live on campus. But I am on campus every day for class. Yesterday, I walked in, said that I needed a tetanus booster, was in with the nurse in just a couple of minutes, talked with her for a few minutes, got the shot, and was out the door. Total time: 15 minutes. No money changed hands. No insurance cards had to be provided. I paid up front for access at the start of the term, that is, I paid upfront for health care, and that is exactly what I got. (Health insurance is most decidedly not the same thing as health care.)

Sadly, I seem to be having a bit of a reaction to the vaccine. I don't remember being such a delicate flower when I've had the shot in the past but maybe they changed the vaccine. I'm older, too, and that could play a role. Anyway, after the shot, I met with my advisor for an hour, worked for an hour, went home, had lunch...and pretty much blacked out. I recall stumbling to the bedroom as tunnel vision closed down on me. I apparently managed to get Harry onto the bed. I woke up almost three hours later! Wow, that little shot knocked me for a loop.

And today, I can't lift my elbow above my shoulder. It's not bruised or swollen--can't even see the prick site. But my whole upper arm hurts like crazy when I move it or touch it (tetanus, anyone?). Reactions to vaccines are rare but that doesn't mean they never occur. It certainly isn't life-threatening and I suspect it will go away with time. But I guess if it isn't better by morning, I'll head back over there and have a nurse take a look. But I can do that! I've got access to on-demand health care!

No comments: