Monday, March 17, 2014

The Student Gig

I've got some big news! You'll recall that a few posts back I was bemoaning the fact that I wasn't having any more fabulous, exotic travel adventures. But quitting my job and going back to school has certainly opened up new kinds of adventures. I suspect that for some of you, becoming a student again sounds like entirely too much work. Well, I'm getting ready to take the student gig to a new level.

But first, some backstory (isn't there always a backstory?). With the exception of microbiology which I'm taking next term, I have finished the additional coursework that I needed to apply to the vet schools that I'm interested in (I have a short list of four schools at the moment).

All of the vet schools in the US use a single, online application form. They all use the same deadlines too. Applications are due this September for consideration for entry into vet school for fall of 2015. Yes, that's a year in advance. Actually, you are informed by March 2015 or so if you are accepted but you won't start vet school until that fall.

So I was wondering what I could do for the next 18 months. I didn't want to keep taking classes; I don't need them and college is damned expensive. I figured that I would try to get a job in a vet clinic as a tech and hang out here and see what happened. No point in moving anywhere until I knew where I might end up (my vet school choices are scattered across the US; OSU is one of them, however). And my chances of being accepted to vet school on the first application are not guaranteed. Many excellent candidates have to try a second time. I might be among them. 

I thought that for the spring and summer, I might try to get in on an undergraduate research project. I approached the professor who taught the Animal Nutrition course in the fall. I really enjoyed the course, and I learned that she had quite a lot of funding for undergrad research. So in January, I went to talk to her about this.

As she asked me more questions about my background, she got more excited, finally proposing something that I never even saw coming. 

She asked me to do a Master's degree with her in the 18 months' "gap". She's got research funding and several projects from which we could choose. She mentioned a fellowship that could pay my tuition and a small monthly stipend. She felt it was all quite doable.

I immediately sought some advice and information from a couple of other people in the department. Was I crazy to even consider this? It will be a lot of work. But the advantages are perfectly clear. Being accepted into an Animal Sciences graduate program then executing and completing a research project and thesis will be a significant boost to my vet school application. Half of the battle of going to grad school is finding an advisor and a project and funding. All of those things are being handed to me!

But wait, there's more! This professor works with poultry. Chickens, you are thinking? Really? Consider this: chickens are just about the only meat source without any major religious prohibitions and as a result chicken and egg production are taking off internationally. There is a TON of funding for poultry research from both the government and private sources. There are excellent, well paying jobs in the poultry industry all over the world. I am in fact interested in a possible international work experience. Why aren't more students flocking (heh, bad pun, it stays!) to poultry science? As one prof told me, chickens aren't cute and furry. Bah, I said. You don't have to take them home and make them pets. With respect to my vet school application, I am weak in my experience with production animals so working with chickens will help me out a lot there too.

Even better, the professor who asked me to work with her has a very strong focus on nutrition. It works both ways, you see. Better  nutrition for the chickens results in better nutrition for people who consume chicken products. Among other things, she studies how poultry diets affect the nutrient profiles of eggs. I am particularly interested in the tangled intersection of diet and disease (details are best reserved for a future post), but many vet schools don't even teach basic nutrition courses anymore. So I also see her offer as an opportunity to learn about specific topics of great personal interest to me.

So, in short, I applied and was accepted to the OSU graduate program starting in the spring term (which starts a short two weeks from now). In about 18 months, if all goes as planned, I will be getting a Master's degree in Animal Sciences with a focus on poultry science and nutrition. It was confirmed today that I'll get the fellowship that will cover my tuition.

And although this had little to do with my decision, I would mention that since I already have a BS and a PhD but not an MS, upon completion of the degree I'll have a complete set! Not a matched set since the other two are in geological sciences, but a complete set nonetheless. Sort of like shopping for dishes at Goodwill. My professional email signature will get really interesting. Imagine what it will look like if I add DVM to the list!

4 comments:

Oldgraymare said...

I knew you could do it! Congrats! Have fun with this new project.

Anonymous said...

You wrote a long set-up for the obvious punch line:

Your chickens are coming home to roost!

*rimshot*

Congrats on the achievement! Now you probably know these sorts of things have a way of making a shambles of what we thought were our plans...

Duwain

lilspotteddog said...

Duwain, that's damned funny. I never saw it coming!!

Re shambles, as usual (!!), you are right. There's already talk amongst those whom I am using for advice that a PhD in poultry science (or nutrition, or both) would be faster, cheaper, and turn into a fine job right away, as in I'd probably be employed before finishing. I am not dismissing them--the cost factor alone is persuasive. But there is a certain allure about being a vet, not just another flavor of scientist.

Fortunately I like it up here and there are good poultry AND nutrition jobs in the NW Pacific area (both big and small chicken and egg producers; some pet food manufacturers too). There's always the government when you are talking about production animals. And academia is also a possibility. Not that I find that career particularly alluring. Still, I know how that game works.

I look at it this way: I have some decision points coming up but I'm not at one yet. Being accepted to my first choice of vet school (to remain unnamed at this point; fodder for future posts) would certainly be persuasive. Not being accepted to any vet schools on my first attempt wouldn't kill the dream but it would be a very good point in time to take stock. It will be easy to take this short side path. I'll be gainfully employed (sort of) and very pleased to do some research again (taking classes is a relatively narrow sort of activity).

We'll see how happy the chickens and I are together.

Rover Mom said...

Yay! Now to start planning my next trip to visit!