Monday, June 17, 2013

SNAFU

I did something really, really stupid yesterday.

The terriers screech their fool heads off when I work with Azza. I've tried putting them in another room, putting them in crates, putting them in crates with meaty bones. Nothing works. The very idea that I would be doing training with any dog but them is not acceptable.

So I thought that I could put them in crates on the patio where I could squirt them with a spray bottle if they barked and reward them with a treat if I could do a sequence with Azza and they were quiet.

While I was getting the crates out of the garage, I decided to work with Mimi first. I carefully measured out the weave poles and set up the jump. I got my clicker, treat bag, and the frozen beef and cheese bits from the freezer. I put Harry in one crate with the spray bottle nearby and left Azza loose.

She kept getting in the way of both me and Mimi, trying to get into heel position in order to get some treats of her own. I managed to get Mimi over one jump and through one set of weaves before I realized I'd have to do something about Azza.

So I put her collar and leash on her and tied the leash to the handle on the top of the empty crate. That turned out to be a really bad idea.

Azza has never been tied to anything before. When she moved, it moved.

That was when things went completely to shit.

Azza totally lost it and started flying around the yard shrieking like a banshee, the crate bumping and banging and dragging behind her.

This of course triggered Mimi's kill frenzy. She's a fox terrier, and just a teensy bit unstable, and her pack aggression is always simmering just beneath the surface, ready to explode as soon as there is a sign of weakness. Mimi began to attack Azza, hanging off her neck like an furry lamprey, gnawing and growling and shaking her head.

Azza nearly completed a full circuit of the yard but the crate finally got stuck behind some old crusty rosebushes. I was able to reach in and unhook Azza's leash and drag her out by the collar, Mimi still attached to her throat. I kicked Mimi off but she kept coming in for more. Azza was screaming and fighting to get away from me and Mimi and the crate and that fucked up nightmare.

I managed to drag Azza across the yard with Mimi now attached to her haunch. I kicked Mimi off one final time before tossing Azza in the house.

I collapsed on the step to catch my breath. Then I carried Mimi into the house and put her in a crate (one that is always set up in the living room for terrier use). I slowly but systematically put away all the equipment, the treats, the other crates, gathered up Azza's leash. Leaving Harry outside, I went to see what condition Azza was in.

It was not pretty. She was hunkered down on the bed, eyes dilated, ears horizontal, growling. I'm surprised she let me in the room but I sat on the floor until she came to me. I couldn't find any serious wounds on her so I decided to leave her alone for a while.

It's now been 24 hours. Azza is much jumpier than usual but seems to be calming down. She's got a welt on her haunch from Mimi's final desperate chomp and scratches on her nose from the rosebushes, but fortunately no punctures or slashes. She doesn't appear to associate me with the scary crate that was following her but she sure as hell wasn't too happy with Mimi.

I had to keep Mimi crated for several hours after the event--her bloodlust was running high and all she wanted to do was go for Azza again. I kept her on lead in the house (a very short lead) until after breakfast this morning. I sent her outside to potty on her own--no fraternizing with the other two dogs.

Mimi is still rather wound up. She constantly tests Azza to see if there is any weakness still there by feinting at her during transitions (getting up to go outside, for example). Azza appears to have decided to let this go and doesn't appear to be holding any grudges. She isn't wary of Mimi and even tried to initiate play with her outside (I immediately discouraged it. Much too soon for that sort of thing.)

So we aren't quite back to normal yet. Vigilant management will be required for a few more days. During which time I'll try not to do anything else quite that stupid.

5 comments:

Anne said...

That terrier mentality can be horrifying.

I'm glad Azza is handling it somewhat well.

So sorry.

Anonymous said...

It's not just terriers. Xero was getting snarky with Eris in early May when Velvet piled on and bit Xero in the thigh, leaving a deep two-inch gash that didn't bleed. When I came around the corner, Velvet had Xero by the tail. Surprisingly, we didn't find the wound until two days later when I saw her licking at it, and it was too late to suture or staple. It's slowly healing and is now about 3/4-inch long and not nearly as deep. Count your blessings that Hell Dawg didn't eviscerate poor Azza.

BC Insanity said...

Wow, I am amazed how you can handle it all. The thought of any of my 6 going after the other even with a snarl is absolutely terrifying to me.
I bet this stacks up to the hotel incident in Idaho years ago. Hope you had a good strong drink after this.
All my best to Azza, sounds like she'll bounce back, you have done many other miracles with her.

Rover Mom said...

Mimi. Oh my. Glad you are able to keep a cool head and take care of things. Glad Meggie is all mellowed out with age. Not sure I could handle another terrier incident! I think you have a good dog in Azza - she appears to be passing all your tests lately!

Anonymous said...

A similar thing happened to Savvy when she was younger. She stuck her nose into a carrier bag of rubbish and it caught on her neck. Next thing she is running around the garden from this monster bag squealing her head off. To this day she won't go near the rubbish bags in the kitchen. At least something good came of it.