Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sleeping With Dogs

There's already been a lot said about sleeping with dogs, from the maudlin to the medical to the stupid (and rebutted nicely here) to the far, far fringe of reality (here and here, although that isn't the "sleeping" I was referring to), but nonetheless I thought I'd add my two cents.

The primary source of heat in my house is in the living room. It is a propane-sourced gas stove with ceramic logs and a blower wired to a programmable thermostat. The house was designed with this stove and it works well. Still, it can get chilly in the bedrooms at the back of the house farthest from the stove, particularly in the early mornings when I open the curtains to watch the rising sun, in the process letting out all of the accumulated nighttime warmth.

I certainly enjoy good wine, thoughtfully cooked food, a diverting book. But by far the most fantastic luxury available to me is being able to curl up in flannel sheets under a feather duvet surrounded by my dogs. Mimi's preferred spot is curled up under the covers next to me. Harry takes the coveted spot on my other side (on top of the covers), easily within reach of my hand. He is usually covered with a small fleece blanket and a corner of the duvet (not too much covering, and never his head; he gets hot). Azza curls up in a tight ball in the corner between my legs and Harry, as close as she can get without annoying either of us. She stuffs her snout into her belly to keep warm, although she too is learning how to enjoy being covered with a blanket.

I get up around 4 a.m. to let the dogs out to pee then we all troop back to bed and arrange the tableau I've described above. And with a hearty doggy sigh or two, we drop back into warm, fuzzy, early morning dreams.

5 comments:

Anne said...

Hmmm. I've slept with Forrest for nearly 10 years and I've NEVER come down with the plague.

Anne said...

... and he's a rat killer!

lilspotteddog said...

Bubonic plague, seriously. WTF? But we do need to talk about the face licking thing...

Old graymare said...

Couldn't imagine a bed without a dog tucked at my feet. Flannel sheets and a down comforter are must haves. The big pups prefer sprawling out in various spots in the bedroom, so wall-to-wall dogs are the norm in our household. Of course, we allow some pup kisses, too.

Anne said...

He did get a bath after the rat carnage.