Saturday, June 22, 2013

Azza's First View of a Dog Show

I'm doing an agility trial with Mimi this weekend. The location is very close to my house, about 25 minutes of freeway time and I'm there. Since the rings started late this morning, I decided to come early to find a place for my setup and use the opportunity to bring Azza with me and give her a look at a dog show.

She did sort of okay as long as there were no dogs to be seen. She's still reacting rather violentl, particularly when other dogs look at her. She does not like dogs that stink-eye but she reacts badly even when the dog glances quite properly then glances away.

But when we arrived we managed to make two passes through the crating area that is stretched out along one side of the arena. Nobody gets to an agility trial at 7am when it doesn't begin until 9am. As a bonus, she navigated some scary metal stairs. Then we went outside to run around on various grassy spots.

I was occasionally able to reward her for looking at other dogs but there is a threshold distance for her--if the dog is closer than that, she starts her meltdown.

Her tail was down, even tucked between her legs, for much of our 45-minute tour but I managed to get her happy ears and tail when running around outside without a dog or person in sight. So at least she was accommodating this new space, if not exactly the beings in it!

No comments: