Friday, June 21, 2013

And More Stuff

My house is a chaos of boxes and packing material.

But the carpets made it! I've got carpets I've never even displayed--no room. I bought them and promptly rolled them up and stacked them in my hovel stairwell. I'm looking forward to getting some of them out.

Nearly everything is coated in fine, sticky dust. The hovel in Dhahran was so poorly sealed that it was a constant battle against the dust but I had no idea what squalor I was living in.

There was some damage to some shelves and two boxes didn't make it at all although most of the contents of one was tossed in loose in the truck, suggesting the damage of at least that box occurred on this end. I definitely lost a few things but I still have to go through the detailed inventory, not the by-the-box list, to figure out what is missing.

One thing is clear. I need to divest myself of a lot of this stuff. I don't want to continue to haul it around with me. I'm already making a pile for a garage sale and/or craigslist. I've purged so much over the past few years but I can see that there is plenty of excess still. It's interesting to learn how unimportant a lot of that stuff is, and how easily one can do without it.

However, I'm really excited to have a fully stocked kitchen again!

No comments: