Thursday, May 23, 2013

Azza in Class (Second Week)

Azza did the most fantastic things in class tonight! I am over the moon with excitement, and I'm very proud of her for tackling some difficult exercises.

She did keep growling at her reflection in a mirror that was near us but it never escalated to a meltdown as I was able to distract her fairly quickly.

Azza held a stand, a sit, and a down during strong petting and touching. The instructor was having the other participants do an "alpha roll" with their dogs for the down part but I won't do that to any of my dogs, and certainly not Azza. Still, the fact that she allowed me to touch her all over, including feet and tail and butt, in that setting is very good. She likes rough play and strong tugging so I'm trying to work in more physical contact as rewards for her.

She also accepted food from the instructor who stood about 6 feet away from her. We waited until Azza put her ears up and forward while looking at the instructor then she tossed Azza bits of cheese. I simply stood there holding the leash loosely and praising her. This is the first time Azza has taken food from a stranger. Usually she refuses it, because ew, scary stranger cooties.

I was also able to have her work some exercises just a few feet away from a cute little mix named Bernie. I think Azza would like to get to know Bernie better but she's still a bit too worried about all the other chaos going on in the room.

She did a lot more amazing things but I think that only hard core trainers would be interested in reading that minutiae.

I left on a high note, exactly at 8:30, when Azza was happy and still focused and willing to work. I didn't want to start a pattern of leaving only when she won't or can't work anymore--their brains reach a saturation point, and an hour is a VERY long time for the intensive work I'm doing with her. I prepare my treats in advance, cut them up into small pieces, and I go through hundreds of bits of hot dog, cheese, chicken, beef, and kibble in that hour. There's not much that I won't reward.

She is exceeding my expectations on a regular basis.

2 comments:

Anne said...

What a good girl! She mst have been exhausted when you got home!

oldgraymare said...

All I can think to say at this point is a big, huge HURRAY! Give her a big hug for me...and a couple of treats.