Monday, January 14, 2013

Blerg

A month ago I got a cold. It was a garden-variety rhinovirus infection. A couple of days of extreme quantities of mucus and a muzzy head followed by a few days with a disgusting cough.

A week ago I started to feel off. Food didn't taste right. I was far more tired than I should have been. Uh oh. These were all warning signs that I've seen before. Sure enough, I got the flu.

It started with copious amounts of mucus, the typical reaction of my body in an apparent attempt to flush out the virus, followed by a very sore, swollen throat and rising fever. I thought, hopefully, that I might have a streptococcus infection. I say hopefully because you can at least get drugs for that. No such luck though.

Then it got bad. The alternating sweats and chills were causing me to change my clothes every few hours. I was so weak that I had to ask Upul to change the sheets on the bed. Every part of me hurt.

I haven't been this sick in a long time. I lost about 36 hours. Not sure what I did exactly. The dogs and cats got fed and I know I took the dogs out to pee fairly often. But other than that, those hours are gone.

To make this even worse, my home internet went out on Wednesday night (the start of our weekend). The IT Helpless Desk was typically useless, giving me a different time before it would be fixed each time I called to complain ("at least five hours," "a day," "...days").

I am supposed to fly out on leave on Tuesday night (I'm writing this on Monday afternoon). I couldn't do any of the pre-travel internet stuff I normally do. I wasn't even sure I'd be well enough to travel. I was getting frantic and stressed, not a good condition to be in when you can't even stand upright for more than a minute or two.

After repeated calls to the Helpless Desk, they finally sent a guy over. It took him less than five minutes to get my modem working again. Hamdallillah!

I made some alternate arrangements for my flights (upgraded my seats, to be precise, on the theory that if I did make the flight, I'd be more comfortable if I could stretch out a bit).

I feel quite a bit better today. Took a shower and washed my hair. Ate some food (first meal in almost two days). Took the dogs for a walk in the balmy afternoon sunshine. Things are looking up.

1 comment:

oldgraymare said...

We have a soft bed with flannel sheets, a nice comforter and two warm fuzzy cats ready for you. Get better and take care of yourself.