Friday, October 05, 2012

Dry Spice Rub


A couple of weeks ago I thawed out a couple of sirloin strip steaks that needed to be eaten. After staring at them for a while, I decided to cover them with a dry spice rub.

Here is what I used: coarse sea salt, cumin, cinnamon, finely chopped garlic, and brown sugar. I rarely measure spices when I’m cooking like this but you’ll want to use a fair bit of the cumin and cinnamon, perhaps 2-3 tablespoons, but only a teaspoon of salt and a couple of teaspoons of sugar.

Yep, it’s that simple. Mix the spices together in a flat bowl.

Wash and dry the steaks. Swirl them around in the spice mix until they are well coated on both sides and on the edges. Leave them in the bowl, cover, and put in the fridge for a couple of hours. The cumin and cinnamon combine to give the meat a warm smoky flavor.

Cut up some fresh veggies for the steamer. Grill the steaks and enjoy!

No comments: