Monday, October 03, 2011

Walking the Dog

I came across the concept of the “companionable walk” while reading “Inside A Dog” by Alexandra Horowitz (I highly recommend this book; even though it has footnotes and references to scientific literature, it is a fun and funny read; note that Amazon reviewers who gave it only one or two stars mentioned that it had “too many big words”; just another example of why America is doomed): taking a walk with your dog is one of the more relaxing activities available to us dog owners (I would add to that list taking a nap with your dog, but I suppose napping isn’t technically an activity). The walk is made even more companionable when we are with a dog who knows the route, the routine, when we are in no particular hurry, perfectly happy to stop at every shrub and pole for a quick sniffing update. We move along together, each content with his own thoughts yet sensitive to the observations of the other.

The idea of the “companionable walk” resonated with me. I spend a lot of time walking my dogs and thus spend a lot of time thinking about these very things. I find it amusing that Harry knows that if I turn around after depositing the trash in the depot, it means we are going on our “Safaniya” walk, his particular favorite. He whips around and begins pulling me across the parking lot to the sidewalk that begins this route. With the smooth accuracy of a flock of birds, the dogs simultaneously turn to the left after we exit the hedges at the start of our morning walks along the circum-golf course path. I no longer say a word or indicate the turn with the leashes; the dogs know that we always turn left at that place.

The dogs and I often stop to examine the same interesting things, although for very different reasons: is that a flower up ahead on the ground or a discarded food wrapper? When we found a hedgehog balled up next to the soccer field one night, I joined in with the poking (never fear, we left it unmolested although Mimi drooled on it in her excitement at the discovery of something so new and exotic). 

Even though one isn’t supposed to, I stick to a routine that doesn’t vary by more than 15 minutes for any particular outing. On our early morning walks, usually started by 4:45 a.m., we regularly see perhaps no more than 4 or 5 people, and then not even every day. It is much more common for us to encounter one or two people every morning for a week…then they decide it is too hot/early/dark to engage in that much activity that early in the morning and they disappear. Lightweights, I say to myself, my virtuous satisfaction only slightly dimmed by the fact that I am out there because I have to be and given the choice, I’d rather sleep in too!

I’ve had agility runs where my dog and I were completely in sync. The feeling is exhilarating. The “companionable walk” is similar but not quite as jacked up with adrenaline. While walking, we get a chance to observe our corner of the world and spend time contemplating the small changes in it. 

So I encourage you to set aside the rush of your day, the stress of work, the demands of your phone, and take your dog for a walk.

Postscript: When I read the title of Ms. Horowitz's book, my first thought was of the classic Groucho Marx joke: Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. I was delighted to discover that she selected the title based on that very joke!

1 comment:

Agilejack said...

I thought of the same joke!

I love walks with the dogs. They love to poke their noses into every bush, every rock. A walk is as much mental stimulation as it is physical exercise.

No wonder they get so excited at the sound of the word.
.