Sunday, October 16, 2011

Agility in KSA Week 2

The main focus this week was on the front cross. I remember struggling mightily to learn how to do this move way, way back in the day (remember that I am blessed with the grace and coordination of a potato). So I decided to use some role-play to let the handlers practice over and over without their dogs. MH was a very patient dog!! I had to remind the handlers to "set your dog up at the jump" and they would all go back to MH and tell her to sit and stay! Very amusing. We didn't make her jump any bars, though.

Unfortunately, we have no digital record of any of that. MH and I are far too busy watching handlers and dogs to keep a camera going. (Yeah, yeah, tripod blah blah blah. We'll set them up next week.)

But fortunately, Jeanette decided to film my introduction of the FC. So I present a short clip of that here. I know you really want to see the people in the class and their fabulous dogs. I hope to have a helper next week to man the cameras so we can share more of that.





I want to make two points with this short clip: (1) Mimi has to be the most patient smooth fox terrier in the history of smooth fox terriers. She holds that damned sit stay for nearly a minute while I'm walking around and waving the precious fur tug-n-treat about! Amazing. And (2) I really need to increase her rate of reinforcement!

Ignore my blather in the clip. It was my intro to the cross. We spent most of the next 20 minutes doing the role play then another 20 minutes with handlers doing the crosses with their dogs (the dogs are all on board; the handlers need more practice!).

And apologies for being such a sweaty pig. We had a wave of humidity come in and it was just brutal last weekend. I'll wear a more photogenic outfit next time. MH wants to make some "promo" videos!

2 comments:

agilejack said...

D; Is this the first ever agility done in SA, do you suppose? I can't imagine the activity would be sanctioned, especially being led by a sweaty, scantilly dressed woman.

It's so historic.

lilspotteddog said...

First ever.

We are at the school behind walls and security and with the official stamp of approval of Community Ed. I don't think we could do this in a public space on our owm because we are skirting rules requiring dogs to be on lead at all times.

Remember that Dhahran exists in its own special bubble within KSA. Women drive on camp. We can wear clothing of our choice. Church groups meet on Fridays (in shifts because there are so many), people throw parties with alcohol, and so on.

Many Arab and Asian cultures view dogs as unclean. It wouldn't occur to the Saudis that you can do such things as agility with dogs.

Something like agility must be driven by an expat and could only take place in the Dhahran bubble.

In a way, we ARE sanctioned by CommEd.