Monday, June 06, 2011

Harry, Party Animal

"Ma'am, I think the dogs had a party."

That was Upul's opening line when he called me at work yesterday.

Sadly, I knew exactly what he meant. I forgot to put up the baby gate between the living room and kitchen and Harry raided the kitchen trash can. Again. Heel ends of mushy tomatoes, cucumber tips, yogurt cups, snotty kleenexes, cat litter and dog hair sweepings, empty juice cartons, even the red wax rind from a gouda cheese, all either eaten or dragged across the living room while the dogs attempted to extract every tasty molecule. Yes, dogs plural. I know that Harry is the instigator but I have no doubt that Mimi participates fully once the party gets going.

In the US, I used a large steel can with a secure lid but not only are such household goods not available here but I have no room for one anyway.

So I keep the kitchen trash can under the kitchen sink. And Harry figured out how to open the cabinet door--not the door that directly opens onto the trash can, but the other door!

It took him a while to work out the mechanics.

Teeth and claw marks, the result of perhaps half a dozen trash-raiding episodes.

Cabinet door safety clips, you say? Do you really think that Harry would NOT eat his way through that cabinet door if left alone long enough? No, the baby gate is the ultimate solution as long as the weakest link (me) doesn't screw up the execution.

I love my fox terriers. No, really, I do.

A gratuitous pic of Harry, Party Animal, hoping he can entice me into a game of baby.

Another gratuitous pic. I'm not sure why Mimi does this but when I pile the dog beds on the couch so I can vacuum the living room (I'm having guests over tomorrow night), she always climbs up to the most precarious perch possible.     


1 comment:

Rover Mom said...

Okay, so, bullet totally always did the same thing with the dog beds - I called him my princess and the pea because it always reminded me of that story with all the stacked mattresses! Too bad Harry is such a maniac about the trash. I had no idea he was still anything other than the perfect dog! And yes, I do think its funny that Upal said "I think the dogs had a party" such an American saying.

Talk to you soon!