Thursday, September 16, 2010

Adventures Part 5: Nashville

Next stop: Nashville to spend some time with Julie. It was a short visit, only two days, but we managed to talk about dogs plenty during that time! I had hoped to see Jack, who is living just south of Nashville now, but there wasn't time this trip.

Julie was as always a great hostess. She even emailed me before I arrived to find out what I wanted for dinner the first night!

Julie was also a trooper and helped me cross a few more important items off my shopping list. The big score was shoes for work! We found them at the last minute, too, when I was ready to give up.

For the second night, Julie had arranged for three of us to visit the Chihuly Glass exhibit that was held at a botanical garden located in the middle of Nashville (the link is to a slideshow of the photos that I took).
Dale Chihuly and his workshop craft the most amazing works of art from glass, which surprise and delight with their improbability, their smooth, shiny surfaces, their flowing organic shapes. Alien pods stuck in the ground or floating in ponds.

We wandered around in the darkening park, marveling at the shapes and the colors. It was a very cool event. Thanks, Julie, for thinking of such a fun thing to do on a nice summer evening! Nothing like that is available to me here in KSA, which makes it all the more special to do with my friend.

I suppose you could blame Julie in part for turning my attention to France. My visit to Paris and then the UK with her in 2002 (where we discovered Mr. Jack) got me thinking about living...somewhere else. Now that looks like it might very well be possible!

No comments: