Saturday, August 21, 2010

OOK

My last post before heading out tomorrow. The taxi comes at 4pm. (Mohammad, my regular driver, apparently scoots back to India during Ramadan, so I'm stuck taking an expensive taxi.)

I checked in to my flight about 30 minutes ago. I'm taking United from Bahrain to Kuwait to Dulles this time. All of the expats have bailed on British Airways after the combined strike/ash debacle of the spring. I've been told that the flight from Bahrain to Kuwait has about 10 people on it--then the plane fills with US military on their way home for leave. Should prove to be an interesting, if quite long, flight.

I did get sucked into United's so-called "Economy Plus"--for which I paid an additional USD 178 when checking in. They claim I'll have one or two more square inches of room.

Some expats use all the miles they accumulate to upgrade every flight. Others hoard miles then redeem for free flights. I've not got quite enough miles to do either...yet. So for this trip, I decided to risk the extra money. Inquiring readers, I will certainly let you know if it was worth it!

I am really looking forward to seeing everyone. It's been a year since I last saw my Austin friends and Julie in Nashville. It's been far too long since I saw G in SLC.

Upul will be staying here with the dogs. He told me today that I shouldn't have brought in a complete bed for him. I said, yeah, Upul, imagine you laying on a mattress on the floor and both dogs on my bed hanging directly over you, going, Hey, Upul, whatchya doin? We'll see if they actually stay on my bed or migrate onto his. My money is on the migration. I'm not sure if Upul is ready for the terrier invasion. A loving invasion to be sure.

Six months is FAR TOO LONG to be in KSA without a break. I am quite excited about this trip out. See you folks in just a few days!

3 comments:

Rover Mom said...

Safe travels!

BC Insanity said...

Glad to hear you just landed on the US soil

BC Insanity said...

Can't wait to see you tomorrow