Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Grand US Tour

In just about a week, I'll be heading over the causeway to the Bahrain airport for a sorely needed excursion out of the Magic Kingdom. I haven't been OOK (out of Kingdom) since February--and believe me, six months is far too long to be here without a break. I'm getting twitchy.

It will be a short trip, just 14 days on the ground in the US, but in that time I will be visiting friends in Utah, Texas, Tennessee, and Virginia (in that order, actually!). I have a matrix of plane and rental car schedules: drop the car off in one state, catch a flight, pick up a car up in another state later that same day. Some of those 16 days I'll be doing nothing but flying.

I found out that nearly all expats do this in their first year, make a grand tour of family and friends. But most do it only once because it is a marathon of plane travel, an unpleasant experience even on good days. Once we get it out of our systems, we settle down to a more leisurely travel schedule in subsequent visits.

Blog readers on my itinerary, you already know when I'm coming. Looking forward to seeing you!

1 comment:

BC Insanity said...

WAHOOOOOO!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!