Friday, January 29, 2010

A Walk in the Desert

Mimi and Harry, south end of Dhahran camp, January 2010.

I decided not to go on the hash today so I took the dogs for a long walk in the desert/trash tip south of camp. I try to do this at least once every weekend; this weekend we made it out there both mornings. Today we wandered around for almost two hours--the weather was fine, the sky was blue, and we had nowhere else we needed to be. I collected a geode, not a particularly amazing feat as there are millions of them out there. But you usually find them already broken so I thought it worth keeping when I found an intact one. Of course I broke a corner of it off to make sure it was nice and sparkly inside!

There is a large jebel in the southwest corner of camp that we climb regularly. This photo was taken from the top looking back north into the Hills housing area.

Harry, King of the Jebel. January 2010.

Here is a funny picture of Harry's poop (his is the fresh brown specimen on the left). He has started pooping on top of things: rocks, bridge rails, bushes. The higher he can get his poop, the happier he seems to be. He isn't the only dog that does this--there are certain bushes in the trash tip which are festooned with turds of all sizes.


The ADSL is a great improvement over the phone-as-wireless-modem setup. A post like this with several photos would have taken me over an hour to prepare--each photo would have to be cut way down in resolution and then it would take as long as five minutes each to load each photo one at a time. Now with the ADSL connction, I loaded all of the photos at one time and it took about 30 seconds for the lot. Plus I will be able to save a lot of money--the unlimited internet plan for the phone was costing me SR 300 per month. The ADSL is only SR 40 per month--about USD 10.

I close with a picture of the chocolate sheet cake incident. It needs no further explanation!

No comments: