Sunday, September 13, 2009

Rain...

I know my friends in central Texas won't appreciate this so much, but it has rained 5.25" here in the past 36 hours...and it's still raining steadily.

The weather system causing the rain is pretty large and I noticed that Austin did record an inch of rain on Friday. Boy, they need lots more than that.

I'd be happy to ship some of it south if I could. Even the dogs are making wet, squelching sounds when they walk around the back yard--we've certainly had our share and then some. (Since there's no thunder, I have been able to convince Dyna and Mimi to come out and play in the yard.)

It's crazy to even type this knowing how bad the drought is to the south, but my rain gauge only records up to 5" so I empty it every 12 hours or so.

I took Harry and Jack for a walk this morning. There was light drizzle and I knew we weren't going to be out in it for too long. The most exciting part was the stream crossing. The stream crosses a road in a large dip designed to hold the water flow, which is usually just a trickle. It dries up completely during the summer. The water was just above my ankles, cold, and moving swiftly. Small sand waves had accumulated on the concrete stream bed--the sand provided good footing on top of the algae slime that usually covers the concrete. Since I planned our route so that we crossed near the end of our walk, the boys and I just waded in. Socks and shoes will dry.

No comments: