Saturday, August 08, 2009

My Awards

The agility school where I train with Mimi and Gracie had its annual party last weekend. Potluck, gift exchange, lots of good socializing with fellow agility enthusiasts, barely recognizable because we were clean and showered and dressed in party clothes. For part of the festivities, Debbie also gave out a bunch of fun and silly awards.

Mimi got "Fastest Weaves By A Little Dog" which made me quite proud. Her weaves are pretty darned awesome. I continually push her for more speed and independent entries.

However, I am most proud of two of the awards that I received: "Potty Mouth" and "Most Encouraging To Classmates." Those sit at opposite ends of the spectrum, don't they?

I do have a bit of a habit in class of letting fly with a "dammit, girly" or "fuckety fuck" (my current favorite) when I just can't seem to get something right. I don't scream at the top of my lungs, but still, stuff does get said. My flyball club teases me about this too. So okay, I admit that I do have a potty mouth. Amusing and embarrassing to have it highlighted with an award!

It's even funnier when put next to the other award. It is true that I say things to my classmates all the time, usually while they are running ("nice front cross!" "super weaves!"), and I often clap and cheer during and after their runs. To be honest, I don't realize I am doing this at the time. I get excited when I watch agility. I get excited watching a dog and handler struggle through a difficult exercise or successfully complete a particular move that had been giving them problems. And when I get excited, I guess I start up with the cheerleading.

I watch my classmates closely because I figure that just because I don't have a dog with a bar-knocking problem now doesn't mean I couldn't have one in the future. There is always something to be learned by watching others. And if a handler and her dog nail an awesomely nasty sequence, I feel as excited as if I had just done it. So out come the claps and the "woohoo"'s.

I'm pleased and honored that my classmates and Debbie decided to give me an award for doing something that comes straight from my heart.

2 comments:

BC Insanity said...

oh and so deserved!

G.

Lauren said...

HaHa! I can vouch that you've earned the "Potty Mouth" award. :) But I must say that my potty mouth almost got the best of me at Reliant - you kept yours in check!

You probably don't realize that you encourage everyone during flyball training too! When you're watching a dog work you'll yell . . . "Niiiiiccccceeee" just like that!

-La