Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Day in the Life

The rhythm of life around Circus K9 has changed quite a bit since I lost my job. I get up between 6am and 7am. If it's not already too hot, I play agility with the girls, or throw the ball in the backyard for each of the dogs, or take some of them for a walk. This regular exercise is good for all of us.

Then it's time for breakfast! Oh my, the dogs are all starving. I switched to a less expensive kibble (Solid Gold is aptly named) but they all still get a spoonful of yogurt with breakfast. Every single one of those dogs slurps up their yogurt first.

My turn next. A half-cup of coffee, perhaps something to eat although I don't usually eat breakfast. Why only a half cup? Even diluted down with soymilk, coffee is pretty rough on my stomach and that is about all that I can tolerate each day.

I might do some dog grooming next. There are always nails that need trimming or ears that need to be cleaned. I like to keep smooth fox terrier butts and tails neatly groomed--all my dogs are in fine shape and a bit of trimming shows off their lovely muscles.

I've started to go through all my belongings, culling items to sell, throw away, keep, store. There is a growing pile of miscellany in the dog room labeled "items for yard sale". I'm gradually becoming less sentimental and much more brutal about this process.

Sometime each day I'll take a shower, earlier if I plan to run errands. My world has shrunk down to the public library and the grocery store so many days I don't leave the house at all. Still, I do make sure I take a shower no matter what. Once the personal hygiene routine begins to slip, you are already on a slippery slope.

I'll spend several hours on the computer looking for a job. I've documented more than 110 specific applications that I've submitted since late May. Some days, I'll apply to 5 or 6 positions. Other days, I may only get in 1 or 2. Some applications take hours to complete--reworking my CV and writing a cover letter don't usually take too long but sometimes the online forms associated with an application can be extremely cumbersome. I filled one out earlier this week that would not allow me to type in dates. I had to click on a calendar widget and SCROLL through months and years to click on the correct date. And the application unfortunately asked for dates, dates, and more dates. It was slow and frustrating.

My computer is in a room that faces west. I've bumped up the thermostats to 80+ to save money, so by 5pm, it's pretty toasty in here.

Time to play with the dogs again! I play a bit of tug with Harry and perhaps throw a toy for another of them. I putter around the house--I need to keep it clean and as uncluttered as I can now that it is for sale. Never know when it might be shown.

By 6pm, I'll be outside in the shade, glass of wine in my hand (box wine, much cheaper than that fancy stuff that comes in a glass bottle), watching my pups enjoy the waning of the heat. Lots of rolling and lolling. I usually take a book and hang out for as long as I can stand the heat. I'll pause to watch Gracie chase down locusts (yum yum), Jack fence running with the neighbor's dog, Harry doing his best plant imitation (face to the sun, motionless), the hummers visiting the feeder.

I might do some yard work at this time of day. Shrubs and trees to pick up after, and all that grass! It is an endless task to keep it mowed and edged. Still, it's growing much more slowly now with the heat. I've hardly had to water it because we've had almost perfectly spaced rain storms.

Dinnertime! The dogs are starving! Once they are fed and have had a chance to go out again, I'll make my own dinner. It is far cheaper to cook from scratch at home than eat prepared food, especially if I shop carefully, choose foods that are in season and on sale, and only eat meat a couple of times a week. If I've had a rough day, I'll go with a comfort-food meal: you can't beat pasta, homegrown tomatoes, fresh basil, a bit of garlic, salt, olive oil, and a decent cheese.

After cleaning up, I'll watch TV or read until bedtime, which usually arrives well before 10pm. I'll sleep for a couple of hours, then toss and turn for the rest of the night, usually falling asleep again around 4am.

And start it all again the next day.

No comments: