Sunday, April 23, 2017

Archie, Crazed Agility Beast (Part 2)

Archie and I went to another AKC agility trial this weekend. It was in Eugene, which is a pleasant drive south of about an hour on a small state highway. The Eugene trials are small, and usually only have one judge, but the host clubs keep things efficient by setting up two rings, alternating classes between them. 

This was Archie's first trial out of the novice classes and he did very well indeed--three Qs out of four runs. I am so very close to having the crazed agility beast that I have in class in the competition ring with me. He showed me this weekend that he is starting to understand what trials are for. I have shifted to crating him inside the arena but keeping Mimi and Azza in the car if they have to come along. Archie can always see me during class, and crating him in the arena means he can see me most of the time there too.
 
So tie-tie.



As I was leaving this afternoon, I went over and told the judge that I had not shown under him before and that I really enjoyed his courses. He said, well I really enjoyed watching you run your dog. He's very fun. 

I get that a lot. I get that from complete strangers who come up and tell me, your dog is so fun to watch. It makes me feel proud to be his partner out there. Now that he is more focused, his speed in the ring is picking up, so I also got some compliments today on his weaves (he weaves like a big dog, a rare talent in a dog of Archie's size).

He nearly gave me a heart attack today by jumping on the table and nearly skidding off but he managed to hang on just as he was about to tip off the edge. Now that is a dog who understands what he needs to do! His contacts were perfect all weekend, and we managed to double-Q today with two nice runs. 

A happy fox terrier.

No comments: