Saturday, May 03, 2014

Chick Countdown

One hundred and twenty one-day-old chicks will be arriving at the poultry facility in 10 days. It's the real deal, doing some science on chickens.

I'm furiously trying to get a handle on the literature--my bibliography contains about 60 papers now; I've read about a third of them. I've also begun a first draft of my thesis--it's actually a term paper for my poultry nutrition class but I chose to write about the same topic as my thesis project. Why make extra work?

Speaking of extra work, in the last two weeks, I have distributed just shy of four thousand lbs of bark mulch around my house. FOUR THOUSAND pounds. That's a lot of shoveling and wheelbarrowing and spreading. Plus the flowerbeds had to be prepared in advance. Mulch doesn't work if you just toss it on top of existing weed jungles. Thank god for ibuprofen. I figured a small investment in bark and some of my time will save me from having to water so much this summer--I expect to save money since water is a lot more expensive than bark, at least in these parts. Plus I don't want to be that house on the cul-de-sac. You know the one: unmowed lawn, gutters falling down, weeds that could swallow small children. It may be a rental but that doesn't mean it has to look like shit.

No comments: