Monday, September 09, 2013

Shit Soup

I was rather proud of my poop disposal system for our new place here. Note the past tense.

I got one of those small rake and flat pan sets at the store and placed a plastic bucket out by the compost bin. Each week I fit the bucket with a recycled dog food bag and other plastic-bag-like object.

I scoop poop once a day, sometimes twice. Not because the dogs shit truckloads, but because they like to run around and play when they are outside and I'd rather scoop poop than clean it off the floors inside. I dump the turd collection into the bag-lined bucket. Cat litter box cleanings go in there too.

Once a week, on trash day, I slip the poop bucket liner into my household garbage bag. Since there was only a thin layer of plastic between me and several pounds of shit, I felt double bagging was prudent.

The system worked fabulously all summer. The unusual summer when it didn't rain for nearly four months.

On Thursday of last week, a storm rolled in decked out with thunder and lightening. It poured for 12 hours.

When I out the next morning, I discovered that I had made around a gallon of shit soup.

Clearly the system will need modification.

No comments: