Wednesday, May 01, 2013

PB

At the fun match last Sunday, one of the women told me that she filled one of those squishy, refillable tubes that you can get in camping stores with peanut butter and let her reactive dog suck on it like a baby bottle to get him through stressful situations. She recommended I try it.

I duly purchased a couple of the tubes the other day. My attempt to get peanut butter into one of them became rather tortuous and involved as I tried to use a spoon, knife, fork, and microwave to get it into the tube. I ended up with too much in there and had to squeeze about 1/4 cup into the other tube before I could get the first one closed. I was already having second thoughts about this experiment. However, I wiped the tube clean and set it aside for our walk this morning.

So remind me why I would expect something like this to work for Azza?

Mimi thought this was a fantastic idea and would happily nurse off the end of the PB tube at the sight of another dog. Azza simply panicked as usual.

She wanted nothing to do with this thing being shoved in her face. The only way to get PB into her mouth was to grab her collar, immobilize her head, and shove the end of the tube in there and give it a squeeze. Except that she kept her teeth clenched shut so that the PB would just smoosh out onto her teeth and lips.

There was peanut butter on her whiskers, her chin, the top of her head, the teeth of the zipper on my hoodie, my pants, my shirt, Mimi, the leashes, my shoes (from drool), the gear shift in my car...everywhere except inside Azza's mouth.

When we got back to the trail head, I chucked the damned tube in the trash can.

2 comments:

Anne said...

I tried one of those tubes with Skeeter and on the third try, it squooshed a stream of air in her face and she wouldn't come near it after that!

If you hadn't thrown it away, i was going to suggest mixing the peanut butter with a little bit of milk to thin it down.

Oh well...

lilspotteddog said...

sure, sure, decrease the viscosity, exponentially increase the coverage area. It's the tube, after all, not what's in it.