Friday, March 01, 2013

Red Cabbage and Cilantro Salad

Cilantro is certainly one of a class of foods that people either love or loathe with no room for fence-sitting. I don't use it often since I find the flavor quite strong. But it is a perfect fit for this dish.

I got this recipe off the internet. There are several sites that claim to have "invented" it and I can't be bothered to sort out who is being silly and who is right. But I'm certainly not going to add to the confusion. This is somebody else's idea.

I've made this salad several times now. It turns the most fabulous purple color if you can let it sit in the fridge for a few hours before serving. Because it is easy to make a lot of it, it is tempting to take this dish to parties. Beware the cilantro snobs, however!

Juice two limes. Add one half tsp of sea salt and 1 Tbs of honey. Stir well to dissolve the honey. If the limes are large, add more honey.

Remove the outer leaves and wash one small or half a large head of red cabbage. Finely dice and add to the liquid. Mix well.

Wash a bunch of fresh cilantro. Remove enough leaves to fill about 1/2 cup. You can give them a chop or two with your knife if the leaves are large. Add to the cabbage and lime-honey mixture and gently stir.

Leave in the fridge for at least a couple of hours and give it a good stir before serving. The leftover salad will keep for several days in a tightly closed container.

2 comments:

AI said...

That sounds really good. I love coleslaw, and I love cilantro. Plus, the color of this must be fantastic!

payingattention said...

Thanks for another great-sounding recipe! We have a mix of cilantro fans here, so I will be interested to see how it goes over.