Friday, November 23, 2012

Prudence

I don't suffer from writer's block: I usually always have plenty to say (putting it more bluntly, I rarely lack for an opinion on things). However, I am not able to write about things going on with me these past few weeks. Not to worry, nobody is in imminent danger. I'm not writing in code about looming disaster. But I've been a bit consumed with issues of life and work and I can't write about them here.

Many of you may have heard that Aramco was the victim of a successful cyberattack back in August. It was well timed, taking place right before the eid holiday started when staffing levels across Aramco's admin areas were rather low. Rumors continue to swirl about who did it and why. I don't pay much attention to them because we'll probably never know the truth.

As a result of this attack, Aramco's monitoring of all email and internet activities has dramatically increased, including activities on home internet. Maybe you think I'm being too cautious? My answer to that is that you would perhaps make the same decisions I'm making if you lived here too.

No comments: