Saturday, April 07, 2012

Shower Evangelical

I've mentioned before that houses in Dhahran have two kinds of water in them. We have a special water faucet in our kitchens for sweet water. This water has been treated and desalinated. It tastes okay and I drink it right from the tap.

Raw water comes out of the other faucets. This is well water that has been treated with chlorine to kill nasties. It is salty and extremely hard but potable, although I don't drink it or cook with it. Dishes washed in it have to be rinsed in sweet water or they get permanent spots. It rusts metal. It eats cotton. And unfortunately, this is the water that comes out of the shower. Imagine what it does to your skin and hair. You never feel clean. Soaps and shampoos don't work like you expect them to.

So I'm very pleased to report that I found a solution to the raw-water showers: a shower head with a chlorine-removing filter inside of it. This thing is totally amazing. You can literally feel and smell the difference in the water coming out of the shower. For less than USD 50, I can have soft hair and clean skin for about a year. I've shared the news of this great product with dozens of people--I'm sure Amazon is wondering why they are getting a rash of orders for the shower head from Saudi Arabia!

No comments: