Saturday, June 12, 2010

Deep, Abiding Love for Humanity

DSL made an interesting comment on the previous post about how good instructors can't just be good dog trainers. They have to like people too, or at least relate to people on some level. I don't really like people all that much yet it appears that I'm a good instructor. And yes, word is getting out (about being a dog "miracle worker," not about not liking people; that's just our little secret). I get at least one email a week from someone on camp requesting private lessons, who found out about me via word of mouth from the people in my classes. I must be doing something right there too because all those folks keep contacting me week after week for another session. I regularly receive emails from people telling me how much they learned in last week's lesson and could I please, please meet with them again, telling me how much they appreciate my time, sharing stories of doggy successes outside of class. My head just might explode.

In fact, I've only turned one person down. She's a flight attendant on the private Aramco jets (read: eye candy for the princes; sorry to be so sexist but like it or not, that is the truth; and remember I have no deep, abiding love for humanity in the first place). Because she had a website linked in her email address, I of course took a look at it. She is a recently converted vegan, and has the over-the-top zeal of most recent converts. On one level, I suppose that I admire her determination to be a vegan in Saudi Arabia, a decidely non-vegan-friendly place. But when I asked her what she fed her dog, she told me she is switching him over to "lentils and rice" because she was told that "dogs can be vegan too."

I told her I couldn't help her with her training.

She is entitled to live any sort of lifestyle that she chooses but when she thinks she can turn a carnivore into a ruminant, that she can force her extreme lifestyle choices on a dog, a dog clearly obtained for all the wrong reasons because she doesn't seem to want the dog for its inherent dogness, a dog who isn't able to offer an opinion on the choices she is forcing on him (hardly different than feeding a child only lettuce because God told you to; sorry this link isn't from the SL Tribute--they charge to access their archives), well, I just had to step away from that.

But back to the point of this post. I am not a soft, fuzzy, people person.

I have no problem telling my clients (I am not quite ready to call them my students because that implies that I am their teacher and I am not sure I am ready to think of myself that way) that their dogs are too fat or that they need to get them neutered asap. I have no problem telling them not to yank their dog's leash or to stop saying "no, bad sit". I tell them these things and I make sure to explain why and to offer alternatives and options. I tell them these things because I think they are receptive to hearing them. I tell them these things because I want their dogs to be happier.

And that is the crux of the matter for me. I see this wonderful parade of dogs and I think, perhaps I can make some of those dogs a little bit happier. And if to accomplish that, I have to offer regular, positive reinforcement to their owners ("good job, Liz!" offered in the exact same happy voice I use with Mimi and Harry), then that's what I'll do.

I am offering the classes in part because I miss dog people. Some of the folks taking classes from me are great dog people. Some are just people who happen to have dogs.

I want to build some sort of dog sport community here on camp. It will take a while to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. If I have to offer classes and train people and their dogs so that I can justify a shared space so that I can play there with my own dogs, then that is what I will do. I will do what it takes to make Harry and Mimi a little bit happier, even if I have to be nice to other people in the process.

2 comments:

Agile Jack said...

I miss you! this just makes me laugh.

BC Insanity said...

I miss her more!!!!
I've had to run a flyball club for many years now, even though I've been very, very close to shooting myself many times over. Thank God for Ann T. who came to my rescue.
But if that's what it takes for my dogs to play flyball, then guess I'll suck it up to and make the most of it.