Thursday, May 06, 2010

The Help (2)

When Jenny helped me arrange for John to take the dogs out for their daily potty break during Upul's absence, she told me that she paid John SR25 an hour.

Based on that, I realized that I have not been paying Upul enough. He's been far too polite to say anything. But when he returned and came by to pick up the keys, I told him that I had not been paying him enough and that starting in May I would pay him SR 400 for the month. (I had been paying him SR 120 per month.) He hesitated, then said, okay, but if you pay me that much per month, I must do something else for you.

Upul said that he has a couple of hours free on Wednesday afternoons. He said he would clean my house for me every week in addition to walking the dogs every work day. After my experience with John, I realized that I wasn't going to "win" any argument on this point. In order to pay Upul a fair amount for his service, I was going to have to let him do more for me.

I thought that I keep the house pretty clean. It's so small that I vacuum every day and keep things picked up and put away--otherwise I'd become buried in sand, dog hair, and clutter. But when I got home from work on Wednesday, this place was sparkling! He had dusted! I only do that once a month or so. He'd cleaned Mimi's snot off the glass door. Upul had cleaned my bathroom. He even cleaned the water spots off the hand mirror on the counter. I immediately felt a little guilty for enjoying it so much...but it sure was nice to walk in and find happy dogs and a clean house.

No comments: