Thursday, January 21, 2010

Settling In

Mohammed, my private driver (well, he's not really just my driver as he has about 50 clients but I am counted amongst them) called me up a couple of nights ago and wanted to know if I wanted to do some shopping this morning (Thursday morning, our weekend). That's not his normal operating procedure but I had unsuccessfully attempted to schedule a trip to Khobar with him last week so he knew that I had some things I wanted. I called my hapless Brit geologist friend Martin and with minimal arm-twisting had him come along too. He and I each had a list of items that we needed but hadn't been able to find so far. It was a nice coincidence that our lists, while completely different, could be almost 90% covered by stopping at one store!

This morning I scored floor mats for my car (we went to a special Indian-run car floor mat shop where Mohammed's friends gave me a good deal), a ceiling fan, screws, ceramic pots for plants, a bag of potting soil (to encourage my gardener to swipe some more plants to put in my new pots), a cooler (so I can make a proper contribution to the hashes), a set of patio furniture (for only SR 429--a glass-topped table, four chairs, and an umbrella!!--to be delivered next week), and most exciting of all: propane gas canisters for my grill.

Here's Mimi staring longingly at two lovely boneless pork chops sizzling away on my lovely new Weber Q200 gas grill that I had shipped over with my other things. It fired up at the first click of the electric starter and cooked an unbelievably tasty meal. That red cylinder sticking out the back is the gas canister. I am planning to get an adaptor hose to hook up the standard 20-lb propane canisters. But this set up will work just fine for now. Word to the thrifty shopper: you can get these grills at Home Depot but Amazon's prices are much cheaper.

I promised Martin a grilled meal outdoors next weekend when my patio furniture arrives.

2 comments:

BC Insanity said...

I bet those chops were not only the source of envy for the dogs, but your neighbors too.
The pic is so vivid I could almost smell them.
Bon Appetit!

lilspotteddog said...

Yes, it's true, you could smell the grilling food all over the smallish shared courtyard area between three buildings! Thank goodness grilling pork doesn't smell any different to the untrained nose from grilling beef or lamb. Imagine if cooking pork produced, say, fluorescent pink smoke or something like that. Dead giveaway!