Friday, December 25, 2009

Life on the Porcine Edge

The holiday parties have been amazing and fun and totally exhausting.

While that is all well and good, I've got an even better story for the blog--today I smuggled pork into KSA!

On the way back from today's luncheon in Bahrain, I had my driver stop off at the Pork Store. It's really a normal grocery store, well, normal for a Persian Gulf state, with an alcove way in the back where they had a glorious display of every pork product known to non-Muslim mankind.


See that kilo of "grilled turkey breast" on the left? That's bacon. Mmmm, bacon. The "corned beef" on the right? That is two lovely boneless center cut pork chops. Mmmm, pork chops.

Here's how you do it: you select what you want then tell the special "pork store" counter guy, who is not a muslim, that you are taking it to KSA. He removes the original label and repackages it as you see above. He sticks the original label on a bit of plastic and they scan and ring that up at checkout, not the bar code you see above. You then toss the original label and you are good to go!

I've gotten word that my shipment is scheduled to arrive in Dammam port on Dec 28. In that shipment is a brand new gas grill. I will celebrate getting my stuff by cooking those yummy chops on my new grill. My stuff will be in customs for at least a week, possibly two, so I've got a while to wait.

In case you were wondering, if I were to get caught by Saudi customs at the causeway inspection station, they just make you throw it away. We were coming across right before the 5pm prayer time and they were all anxious to head off and pray so the inspection they gave the car was perfunctory at best. But along with hair conditioner (yes, I found some in Bahrain), nice fresh tomatoes, and dog treats, the "grilled turkey breast" wouldn't even have raised an eyebrow.

3 comments:

Rover Mom said...

I guess it would be a cheap shot to mention the lovely christmas ham John made last night! Mmmmmm...with his infamous baked beans and potato salad. My Dad was in hog heaven (hee.) We had leftovers for lunch today. Plus a ridiculous array of cookies, nuts and candy. Tried Beaujolais for the first time, yuck. Been thinking about something warm and alcoholic all day. Rain and wind have set in. Have a flat tire, but can't do anything about it. Hope snow will clear a bit so Meggie will stop leaving poop piles for the mailman!

lilspotteddog said...

Loved the photo montage! Looks like the dogs got a lot of new toys.

Flat tire? Is that why your car is only half cleared in the picture?

Don't worry about the pork jokes. There is plenty of pork being served at all of these parties. And it seems quite easy to get some for myself.

I heard that a big ice storm is heading for New York. I guess your rain is the warmer equivalent. It is cool here and has been raining every 5 or 6 days. There can be thunder and lightening but the rain itself is light and steady. It just never rains for very long nor over a large area.

Tell Meggie that simply looking cute/pathetic works in most cases, no need for the extra foot action.

Rover Mom said...

Yes, the Mr. Bill toy is the favorite! It cries "oh no!" instead of squeaking! Drives Meggie nuts. No the half cleared car was after 2 hours of work. Its all clear now, but the flat means I need to use the volvo to go herd today. Actually cute pathetic never works with me which is why she is using the paw so much! I mean really, can't you just poop outside???!