Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Case of the Missing Toads

I've got a healthy toad population around the house. I'm not a toad expert but I am a naturalist and I have identified both Texas Toads and Woodhouse Toads.

I welcome this situation because, as I regularly remind the dogs, "toads are our friends." They eat all sorts of annoying insects without making much of a fuss about it. I don't let the dogs mess with any toads they encounter outside.

Bhumi stalking the window--here's the reason!

Other than seeing the occasional toad hunting at night, the most direct evidence of our cohabitation is toad poop. Toad poop is comprised of single turds, cylinders that are 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in length, dark in color. Trust me on this, you do not want to step on fresh toad poop with bare feet--it is slimy and smells awful.

But closer examination of toad poop reveals all sorts of shiny insect carapaces and wings and other bits that vary with the season. Spring, it's crickets. Summer, you'll find june bug and other beetle parts.

Toads live in relatively shallow holes they dig under bushes, fences, rock walls, wherever they can scratch out some loose dirt. They hibernate during the winter, digging deeper holes and covering themselves entirely.

All in all, they are great neighbors to have, and I've always thought that my toad population, comprised of both big and little toads, was a sign that I had a pretty healthy little ecosystem.

But lately, I've noticed a distinct absence of both toad poop and toad sightings. It was the Case of the Missing Toads.

Yesterday, I think I found the solution:

Harry and Dyna cautiously investigate.

Yes, that's a shed snake skin. It was in excellent condition and completely intact. Probably a rat snake, the North Texas equivalent of the generic LBB or "little brown bird" used by bird watchers. Certainly not a rattler. But judging by the size of the shed skin, that snake could have easily laid waste to my happy toad family.

I'm sorry for my toads, but that's the cycle of nature.

4 comments:

Rover Mom said...

Yes, we have toads, or should I say, Meggie's toad nemesis here as well! She can't help herself. She hunts them every evening when the porch lights are on or when its damp out. After 2 trips to the emergency vet, we do not allow toad hunting! Crash is terrified of toads....

Rover Mom said...

And we are extremely familiar with toad turds - although I cannot claim to have ever stepped in one with bare feet!

Rover Mom said...

Did you get my email from Monday? Large Flock is addictive!

seniormoments said...

A black snake took care of all my toads last year, but this year they're back and happily catching bugs. Never have seen toad turds and, thank goodness, have never stepped in any.

VAMom