Saturday, July 11, 2009

Sophie's Choice


It's really hot outside now so I thought I would post this picture of Harry and Iz enjoying the snow in Salt Lake City, circa 1999, Iz's first winter. I've been in Austin for several days--drought and 100+ temps wilt everything, including people. Thank goodness it's not quite as dry up here in DFW though it is still pretty darned hot.

I posted last night about the dogs acting out while we were in Austin. Now that they are back at home in their own space, I have heard hardly a peep from any of them. They all got a bath this afternoon, spent some time drying off in the backyard, and now they are draped all over the house in a state of post-dining, post-travel exhaustion.

The anniversary of Iz's death is coming up in a few weeks (August 1) and I've been thinking of her more often than usual. Her last two months were a painful struggle so I'm trying instead to remember all of the wonderful things that we did together. The many years that she and I did animal-assisted therapy volunteer work resulted in lots of good memories. She was so amazing in that role.

While thinking of Iz, I've also been thinking about losing my other pets.

I was recently faced with an interview for a job that would have required me to leave behind all but two of my animals. I have not received an offer, and now don't expect one from this particular company. But the struggle required to choose which animals I could not take was horrible. It was like asking me to cut off an arm or a leg--which ones would I abandon? Imagining my cats in a crate at a PetSmart adoption day is as bad as any nightmare I've had. Could I choose between Mimi and Gracie? How could I ask someone else to take on Jack with his many neuroses and anxieties? I think that my own anxiety about this resulted in a relatively poor interview--unconscious sabotage--but how many of you could easily make that choice?

1 comment:

seniormoments said...

You and your babies need the strength that you can provide each other to get past this bad time. There will be better days and those of us who love you all will be standing by to support and encourage you. Hugs to the circus and you.

VAMom