Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mimi and the Happy Voice

I've had a couple of rough days with Mimi. She has been alternating between blowing me off to follow her own agenda and worrying about the Agility Trial Monster. However, this worry about the ATM has not been nearly as extreme as it has in the past. For the most part, her tail has been up and she does have moments of really good connection with me in the ring. But up until our last run of the day yesterday, Open Jumpers starting at 6pm (!), she hadn't been completing courses. It was always something--the weaves, the table, too many refusals, etc. etc.

I was getting frustrated and sat down to chat with Debbie, our instructor. She said, know what you need to do for Mimi's next run? I said, no, what? Beat her with a jump bar? Not run her at all? No, no, Debbie laughed. You need to let her know she is doing a good job. You need to say "Yes" even if all she does is take the right jump. Oh, I said. You mean just give her lots more verbal rewards on the course. Exactly, Debbie said. In your happiest voice ever.

Debbie then proceeded to tell me this hysterical story about a private consultation she did with a couple who had a rescue dog with lots of baggage. Debbie noticed that whenever the man, who was very large and had a large deep voice, said anything to the dog, the dog would flinch. So Debbie told him he needed to speak in a higher register. To talk to the dog, well, like a girl, all happy and squeaky. They all noticed a big difference in the dog right away. Then Debbie noticed that when the man ran with the dog, the dog was also flinching and shying away. The man ran with large pounding footsteps. Um, Debbie said, you also are going to have to try to run like a girl too. It was a good thing it was a private lession, she said, because otherwise the guy may never have gone along with this. But he did try it--talking like a girl and running like a girl. And the dog just opened up to him immediately. I was howling the entire time she was telling this story.

Well, I've been practicing that happy voice a lot. Cap totally shuts down when I use the terrier voice on him. I have to be all happy and squeaky no matter what and he complies with my requests right away. Use the terrier voice and he just stands there and looks at me. So I can do the happy voice.

Okay, I said, happy voice, say Yes, let her know she is doing a good job. I'll give it a try.

Well, the attached video shows the result. You can hear me squeaking and Yes-ing the entire time. Debbie was filming and you can hear her commentary as we run, which doubles the fun, I think.

Look at her at the beginning. Mimi has NEVER been that happy at the start of a run. And watch Mimi's weaves carefully. About halfway through, I say, yes, good girl, and she SPEEDS UP!

That off course was totally my fault. I was so wrapped up in trying to keep my eye on her and to remember to praise her that I got turned around on the course and turned too tight after that one jump and pulled her over the dummy jump instead of sending her to the weaves. But I kept going and I'm not sure Mimi even knew it was a mistake.

So no Q but I'd have to say that run was more like the runs we have in class than anything we've ever done in the ring together. Still not as fast as class but by golly we are having a good time!


2 comments:

seniormoments said...

Okay, that was about the funniest video yet. Looked like you were both have fun. Enjoyed the "voice over", too.

VA Mom

Anne in SLC said...

That was nice!!! She looked fabulous.

Your ability to laugh at yourself will come in handy!

Keep it up.