Friday, October 17, 2008

Paean to My Petsitters

I've mentioned before what great petsitters I have. When I am going to be gone for hours at a time, or even for days at a time, I can depend on them to take care of my little menagerie. They bring in my mail, drag my trashcan in from the street, and leave me these hysterically funny notes describing in great detail what each animal did during each visit. It's enlightening to read someone else's perspective on behaviors that I sometimes take for granted.

I remain miffed that the cats greet Tina at the door. I come in the house each day to find them waiting by their food bowls, not interested in greeting me but only in what I might feed them.

Because Gracie and Mimi want to kill each other, letting the dogs out for something as simple as a potty break becomes this complex exercise in dog management. But Tina never wavers, always following my instructions to the letter. And Danielle, who only has to deal with the pack every so often, has it under control as well.

I'm paying for a specific service but there are complicated undercurrents of value associated with it. Sure, my dogs get a break from their crates, get some fresh air and sunshine and a chance to potty if they need it. That's a tangible benefit. But I'm also getting peace of mind that they are being cared for with the same attention that I would give them.

Here's to my great petsitters!

No comments: