Thursday, August 21, 2008

Tug-N-Treat

I got the rabbit fur-covered tug-n-treat from Clean Run to encourage Mimi to tug in more distracting environments. She adores chasing a ball and while that is very rewarding to her, it takes her focus and energy away from me and agility. I want her to be more motivated by tugging and by close play with me.

The video shows how much she loves her special agility toy. It's a great training tool! Be sure to load it with super fabulous high-value treats, like vienna sausages. Or cheese!

I have started using this toy to create more obstacle focus because it has a good weight to throw with some accuracy. I also use it as a distance target. So far, she hasn't been able to open it herself but I certainly wouldn't leave her alone with it.

Two items of note. First, yes, I know, she started out wanting to play with the regular tug toy. She will get to play with that one later tonight. Second, how about those chattering teeth at the end? Think she's excited? Now imagine driving that around an agility ring. She's quite a handful in a very small package!

Learning to work as a team with Mimi has been a real uphill struggle. She's so drivey and yet still so immature and easily distracted. This toy has helped focus her energy while rewarding her for making good choices.

No comments: